Beware the Bubbles: Sparkling Drinks Can Increase the Risk of Tooth Decay

Final_Sized.jpg

Just when you thought it was safe to enjoy your favorite unsweetened sparkling drink comes new evidence that the chemicals used to create the effervescent in drinks can increase the risk of tooth decay. 

Carbon dioxide added to water to create the fizz or bubbles in sparkling water is the culprit. A chemical reaction in the mouth turns CO2, or carbon dioxide, into carbonic acid. Carbonic acid gives sparkling water that slightly tangy or tart taste that plain seltzer or fizzy water has even when it does not contain additional flavors or sweeteners.

Carbonic acid wears away the enamel on your teeth over time. Although sparkling water contains less acid than orange juice and is certainly better for your teeth than drinking sugar-sweetened soft drinks, it can have a detrimental effect on your teeth over time, especially if you drink sparkling water daily.

Sipping sparkling water constantly bathes your teeth in carbonic acid, and can weaken or damage tooth enamel over time. The risk increases if you add lemon or lime slices or juice to the water, which further acidifies it.

The safest drink for your teeth, and the best drink to quench your thirst, remains pure, natural, water. Choose your favorite spring water, tap water, or any other unflavored and non-carbonated water. It’s calorie-free, acid-free, and exactly what your body needs to stay hydrated. 

Bassett Creek Dental gives you more reasons to smile. We have several fine dentists on staff, and offer a full range of family and cosmetic dental services in our comfortable Golden Valley office. Please call our office today for an appointment. 763-546- 1301.



Category: